Friday, October 19, 2007

My first race since high school, a fresh insight into scripture




(By Matt)
On August 19, 2006, I ran in the Pikes Peak Ascent, a 13 mile uphill climb that ends on the mountain top. It was my first official race since running in high school track. I had trained for it for the past few months and knew I could do it as I have climbed the hill before. But something happened on race day that I hadn't planned for. 

I was struck by the buzz of the pre-race atmosphere. We all had a big hill to climb and in just moments we would be striving the best we could to attain the summit. Some would dash up ahead only to fall back after losing steam. Some would find a comfortable pace and steadily plod their way to the top. Others would falter and drop out all together. It was interesting watching all these people of every shape and size all there for the same reason—to climb that hill! We knew at the top there would be rest and a gold medallion that they would put around our necks. They would say stuff like "well done" and "great job" and we would be able to sit down finally! 

On the journey up the hill I couldn't help but think of those scriptures in the Bible that talk about pressing on toward the high calling and running toward the goal to win the prize. [Philippians 3:14 (CEV)-I run toward the goal, so that I can win the prize of being called to heaven. This is the prize that God offers because of what Christ Jesus has done.] In the microcosm of a single 4 hour race, I got more of an understanding of those verses than the hundreds of times I have read them out of the Bible. 

Thank you God for giving me the strength to run the race and for the insights into Your Word. 

No comments: